Trail Marker #3
E&A Engine 100
Although the Elkin & Alleghany Railroad was intended to span 60 miles from Elkin to West Jefferson, only 12 miles of track were actually laid. It never made it beyond the foot of the mountain in Doughton. The first locomotive to service the E & A Railroad was this new 2-8-0 Consolidation built by Baldwin Locomotive Works of Pennsylvania. Engineered by Dallas McCoin, Number 100 served the A&E Railroad well until this steam locomotive was sold in 1916 to the Atlantic & Western Railroad in Sanford, North Carolina. The engine now sits at the Camp Willow Run Christian Camp and Retreat center located on Lake Gaston near Littleton, NC.