top of page

Trail Marker #6

Construction Engine at

1910 dam near the Library

As soil was hauled away, large formations of sandstone were revealed.  This photo, captioned New Dam and Train, shows the construction company’s locomotive removing rock that had been blasted away and placed on flatcars to be hauled up the line in 1911.  Local citizens were in awe of the progression of the railroad and celebrated as its maiden run launched on July 4, 1911.  Construction continued throughout the next ten years that included the “Three Mile Extension” cut in 1917.  Even though only 18 miles of the planned 60 miles were ever laid and the project was abandoned in 1931, the impact of the Elkin & Alleghany Railroad on the Elkin community will never be forgotten.  

bottom of page